With two very different kinds of albums to his name - Human Veins (2011) and The Turning Wheel (2008), thirty-four year old Alex Hallahan is yet again manifesting signs of artistic growth in his new single Tangle For Two. It's a delicious folk song, a love letter, contemplating boundless love and it’s tangle where two can find refuge from "life's uncertainties". It is a melodic embrace to recline your weary soul upon.
Tangle For Two will be released soon in 2014.
ALEXANDER LEE Preamble (aka pleased to meet you)
I had a restless heart, or perhaps a restless start, early on... oh, I was productive, you wouldn't say that I was aimless at all, it's just that I was a little bit like a firecracker going off in all directions at once (ok... a lot like). Lucky for me though, I eventually found myself when I began writing songs. That I found my way there was actually a bit of an accident, but I'd say that it was an accident waiting to happen.
As too many people are aware, some accidents are vicious - and I've had those experiences too, but this particular accident put a lot of things into perspective for me, in fact it was the big bang that created my world. It must have been planned a long time ago, well before I was born.
Here are some things that I've noticed about myself of recent:
1. I write songs because I can't help it and doing it makes me truly content. Inspiration builds up inside me and then it's as though I pull the plug and let the bath water out.
2. I'm most comfortable when I know that I have a pen or pencil and spare paper in my bag and two picks (plectrums) in the back pocket of my jeans.
3. I can't breathe under water but I wish that I could, this could be because I'm a Piscean or perhaps it's just because I love the sea so much.
4. I love playing live in a front bar because I like to watch people go about their bar room rituals.
5. I have difficulty writing my own bio in any regular or standard kind of way.
6. I've been unshaven for many years. I grew a thick beard while I was reading Jack London's novel The Call of the Wild during which time I said that I was growing the beard because I wanted to howl at the moon. Though the beard has since thinned, this is still true.
7. Once, there was a butterfly that lived out the front of my house. It flew around me in circles every day. I found myself thinking that it was the reincarnation of someone I once knew.
8. I've shown strength at times and weakness at other times, always in the most unlikely places and this surprises me to no end. No matter what though, eventually I find myself smiling at how abundantly human I am.
9. I often mistakenly think that I am older than I am.
10. I have been with my beautiful girl for longer than I haven't, we are having a baby girl real soon.
11. I'm extremely conscious of the weather patterns, to the frustration of those walking with me I often stop in awe of the cloud formations and the colour of the sky.
So here we meet, you and I.
Tangle For Two (single)
Human Veins (LP)
with Woodland Hunters
The Turning Wheel (LP)
Alex's music has been featured, played and championed on radio stations Australia wide including influential stations such as Triple J, ABC National, ABC 774, 3RRR, PBSfm, 2SER, FBI and many more.
Alex's father Gerry Hallahan was a prominent Australian radio announcer in the 70's, 80's and 90's working for a radio station that predominantly played hits from the 50's, 60's and 70's.
Alex's Mother is award winning dance educator Jackie Hallahan creating some of Australia's finest dancers and performing artists.
Alex tried his hand at dance when he was three years old and walked away with concussion. He attempted it again at fourteen years of age and was accepted into the Australian Ballet School where he studied for two years before ending that relationship citing personality differences.